This phase deals with the design of the learning experience and the activities that it contains. This phase will be repeated for each stage of the project and identify where it is building on work from the previous stage.
Building on the work of the previous phase and using the Context Summary as a base, this phase will identify and describe, in some detail, the actual learning activities that will take place in support of the specified learning outcomes. One major purpose of this is to identify the resources that will be required.
The phase is mostly concerned with identifying what will happen and to some extent how it will happen. The phase will help to identify all the resources that are required to construct the activities required by the learning experience. This will include resources such as lesson plans, online student material, video etc as well as, in general terms, the items that are required within Second Life, for example: a birthing unit, an interview room etc..
It primarily answers the questions around ‘What will this learning activity require?‘ and collects all relevant information about the content of the activity. It describes what the students and the educators will do, how they will interact and how the students will be supported. From this description, a list of necessary resources can be derived. At this stage the resources may just be identified and listed but not described in significant detail.
Phase Leader: Learning Designer
The phase needs to capture the following information for the stage under consideration :
- a comprehensive list of the resources that will be required by the learning activity.
- a description of the preferred form for those resources (e.g. SL activity, video, lesson plan on a wiki etc..)
- a description of how the resources will be used (i.e. who will interact with them and in what manner)
- a description of how the resources will interact with each other (e.g. this object will provide this information, i.e. the “Bowl of Fruit” will provide information on nutrition during normal labour)
- identification of existing resources that will be used (or re-used) (e.g. the water pool from stage 1 now requires an animation).
- identification of source for non-SL resources (e.g. wiki content to be created by Lead Educator, 2 minutes of machinima on construction of birthing unit required from SL team for the video etc…)
I am sure it needs to include other things – help pls
Final Document: Learning Design Document
Once again the bulleted list of required information could provide the structure and headings for the final document.
We need to remember (and capture the information about) that at times external resource builders will need to provide content to the SL developers (e.g. content of notecards) and vice versa, e.g. SL snapshots or machinima.
Would this work? I think it works for the technical design but what else would be useful for others? Advice pls